Commonly Asked Questions
What is Sunless Spray Tanning?
Sunless spray tanning is the spray/mist application of Sunless tanning solution to your body. When applied, DHA (the active ingredient in Sunless tanning solution) reacts with the proteins in the skin’s superficial layer to form a golden brown color. Your skin begins to darken two to three hours after application and reaches its peak color within 24 hours. The color will gradually fade through natural exfoliation, just like a tan from the sun.
How long does Sunless Spray Tanning last?
A Sunless Spray Tan can last up to 7 days depending on the formulation you choose and the condition of your skin.
Are there ways to enhance the Sunless Spray Tanning results?
Yes, all VersaSpa at-home products are created to enhance and extend Professional Sunless Spray Tanning results. Over the counter products are not formulated for Sunless Tanning. They may block the tan’s application, impede the development process, and create uneven post-tan fading. Ask your Salon Professional about MysticTan’s complete line of in-home Sunless Products to enhance and extend the life of your Professional Sunless Spray Tan.
Will My Skin Look Orange?No. The advanced technology currently used in sunless tanning solutions is designed to ensure a natural, bronze tan. The salon staffer can help you select the proper level of tanning solution to best match your skin tone.
How should I prepare for my Sunless Spray Tanning Session?
- Exfoliate! 24 hours prior to your appointment, clear away any dry, dead skin cells with a pH balancing exfoliating scrub, such as VersaSpa Pro Cleansing Body Wash & Exfoliator.
- Avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products, or in-shower moisturizers. These products can neutralize the DHA bronzing reaction within the skin.
- Avoid using Dove Soap or Lotion. These products leave film on your skin which causes uneven blotch tan result.
- Any waxing or shaving should be completed 24 hours prior to the session.
- The day of the session, do not apply anything to the skin that may act as a barrier between the sunless solution and the skin. No lotions, creams or perfumes prior to the session. You may resume using these after your first shower or bath. Use deodorant sparingly.
- Remove any make-up prior to sunless application.
- Plan on wearing loose dark clothes and sandals after your spray session. Tight clothing can rub or smear bronzers, especially around the knees, elbows and waist.
How long should I wait after a session before showering?
To give the DHA enough time to fully set, it is recommended to wait a minimum of 4 hours after a sunless spray tanning session or 8 hours for optimal results. Showering sooner may diminish the intensity of the tan. If you tan using an Instant Cosmetic Bronzer, the Instant Cosmetic Color will wash off in the shower, but the color produced by the DHA will remain.
Will swimming affect my tan?
Swimming in chlorinated water or salt water can fade the Sunless Spray Tanning results, cause possible streaking and will diminish the length of your tan. However, normal activities such as bathing, showering or physical activities will not affect the quality of the tan.
Does Sunless Spray Tanning Solution have any smell after contact with my skin?
VersaSpa Pro sunless spray tanning solution use a breakthrough odor control technology designed to virtually eliminate the odor that may be present when the solution interacts with the skin.
Will the bronzing formula stain my clothing?
No, the sunless spray tanning solution which includes a cosmetic bronzer is water soluble and will be removed after the next wash in cold water. However, in some instances, the DHA in the tanning solution may permanently stain undergarments worn during the spray session.